Other notable historical features are:
- Visible remains of the Napoleonic Defences built in 1803.
- Brick works dating from the early 1800’s.
- A windmill, first mentioned in 1777, which until the 1920’s stood in the grounds of Mill House on the Common.
Proposed Heritage Centre...
The Heritage Centre is planned around the main building comprising of a main hall, three side rooms, kitchen and grounds. It will be made available for exhibitions of both historical and natural heritage interest, with facilities for research and continued learning. There will be provision for the much needed storage of historical artifacts and archives, and also for use as a meeting place for local organisations.
It will also cater for those with more active interests, such as walking groups, kite flyers, cyclists, and for a range of other community activities.
The Common was designated a Local Nature Reserve in 1993. It is envisaged that the Centre will provide the opportunity for parishioners to continue to learn more about local flora and fauna of the Common and the surrounding areas.
Galleywood Parish Council’s earlier application for lottery funding was unsuccessful, but the Galleywood Heritage Committee comprising of six Councillors and advisers, have spent the last six months preparing a revised plan to help fund the capital work from Parish Council reserves, with the help of volunteers’ time and in kind contributions.
Follow our progress online... or come and join in this historic community project!
FOR MORE DETAILS ON HELPING HANDS (Past & Present)... CLICK HERE